Tuesday, August 14, 2007

As promised.

Finally, finally I have a nice long afternoon with which I don't have to do much of anything. Which isn't to say that I haven't got stuff done, just that in the midst of my stuff doing, I'm able to stop on over here and just RAP with y'all.

So, first, I am straight-up a teacher now. For the past two days, I have been confronting a class fulla high schoolers, and filling their heads with skills they are going to use ONCE in their real life. Maybe twice, if I don't teach them as well as I should. Remember, if you can't decide between two answers, the shorter one is probably correct! No, seriously, this is true on the Improving Sentences section of the SAT. I hate it. It wounds me.

But this teaching thing... it's not bad. I can stand, and talk, and be dramatic. I can delight whenever the youths get something right, and I can delight in telling them why they got something wrong, and I can make bad jokes and glare at them until they laugh out of fear. It's... it's not so bad as I might have feared. Honestly, we'll see how weeks of the stuff affects me in a few weeks, but... but I'm digging the new job. I can only hope (and fret) that the children before my mighty teaching prowess are enjoying the learning experience that is being thrust upon them, and that it does SOME sort of good. Though honestly? I thing the schedule severely limits how much they can get out of the course. (There's no time to let the lessons digest before we're on to the next thing... it is lame.)

But on the whole? Diggin' it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

Do you think they are coming up with a nickname for you AS WE SPEAK? I am sure you are breaking teenage hearts and maybe if you're lucky becoming the subject of an amusing limerick. I am jealous, sir, jealous!

8/14/2007 4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SEE? It is not so bad! Although lucky for you you are not teaching middle schoolers, who are obnoxious little shits meriting only beatings and possibly death. Ehem. But anyhow, GOOD JOB on not fucking it up bigtime. Do you make them call you Mr. Turner? Professor Turner? Ye old and wise one? You should.

8/15/2007 8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Professor Turner. Fuck that. This is the one shot where you can force people to call you by the greatest name ever in existence.

Make them call you Professor Science.

8/15/2007 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home