Friday, December 09, 2005

On 'Chronicles.'

I just saw 'The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe,' and I'd like to discuss it a bit. Now, before I get to talking about the acting, plot, setting, special effects, dialogue, or cinematography, I'd just like to say this. It is so, so very refreshing to finally see a movie uncluttered by symbolism. Too often these days, storytellers who feel their work isn't up to snuff on its own will try to artificially increase the popularity of their product by forcing in allusions and references and making every damned character an allegory for something else. It's hard enough to follow the plot of one story without it also being a political climate study, psychological analysis, microcosm, or the most heinous offender of all, a religious parable. No, stories should function of their own accord, untainted by the vain attempt to hook readers in by forcing them to analyze the goings-on. Readers have a much better experience, and writers who can write actual stories are no longer hidden in the sea of overdrawn textbooks. This brings us to 'Chronicles,' which I am happy to say, is as pure a story as they come, unafflicted by maddening impact of symbolism. From the... just a moment, I've been handed a bulletin.

... oh, you've got to be KIDDING me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home